At the time of the Domesday Survey there were most probably two estates in Litchfield - one held by the King and the other by Hugh de Port. The first, which afterwards developed into the Manor of Litchfield, was granted by Henry II to Ralf Monachus. In 1228 Ralf granted the manor to Brian de Stopham. It eventually passed to John Kingsmill in 1537 and when he died in 1556 his heir was William Kingsmill and the manor then followed the descent of Sydmonton.
The second estate, later known as the hamlet of Litchfield or West Litchfield, and Woodcott, were held by Faderlin and his daughter. These properties passed to Ruald de Woodcott and remained in the family until the early fourteenth century, when Richard de Cardeville inherited them. In 1303 he granted the Manor of Woodmancott and hamlet of Litchfield to the Prior and Brethren of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem. They remained the property of the Prior and Brethren until the Dissolution when they became Crown property. In 1544 they were granted to John Kingsmill and remained in the Kingsmill family until 1766. The manor was purchased by the Herberts and descended to the Earls of Carnarvon.
From Hantsweb maintained by the Hampshire County Council